HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) – Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s budget director is expected to release a plan for balancing Connecticut’s budget, which is projected to be $73.6 million in deficit.
In a letter to the state comptroller, Office of Policy and Management Secretary Benjamin Barnes said he expects by early in the week the governor will use his budget-cutting authority to reduce current state spending.
Barnes said other actions may also be taken, such as delaying or cancelling hiring, reducing discretionary spending and closing programs. If necessary, he said the governor may seek action from the General Assembly, which is scheduled to begin its regular session on Feb. 8.
Barnes said he expects the state will end the fiscal year with a balanced budget. Lawmakers last year passed the two-year, $40.1 billion budget.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)