Programming Note: Listen to the first Presidential debate Monday night 9-11pm on WTIC NewsTalk 1080 and wtic.com.

Malloy Administration Identifies $135 Million In Cuts

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials have identified $135 million in budget savings by eliminating vacant positions and making smaller cuts by reducing copiers, custodial services and overtime. (Click here to view the list.)

Benjamin Barnes, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s budget chief, said at a news conference Tuesday that the state also expects to cut its work force with a flurry of retirements.

Connecticut’s unionized state employees ratified a labor savings and concessions agreement last month that the administration said will save nearly $700 million without layoffs or deeper spending cuts such as courthouse closures or reduced services for the disabled.

State employees may retire by Oct. 2 before changes in the agreement take effect and Barnes said many workers have expressed interest in leaving.

Barnes also said a committee will examine cost-cutting with technological changes such as revising a software licensing agreement and consolidating systems.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

Win Red Sox Tickets All Season
The Latest UConn News

Listen Live