Layoff Notices Near 2K

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ The Malloy administration continues to send layoff notices to Connecticut state workers as it talks with unions to avoid the cuts.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s office said Wednesday that 1,851 layoff notices have gone out, up from 1,523 last week. Few workers have actually lost their jobs.

Roy Occhiogrosso (Okee-oh-gross0), Malloy’s senior adviser, said the administration and union representatives could reach an agreement in the next few days leading to a new vote by state workers on a concessions agreement to avoid the layoffs.

Layoff notices will continue until there is an agreement or the administration reaches 6,500 layoffs Malloy has said are needed to help save $1.6 billion in the two-year, $40.1 billion state budget.

The Department of Transportation was targeted for the largest number of layoffs, 448.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

The Latest UConn News
CT Business Spotlight

Listen Live