“No Contest” Plea In Spring Weekend Death

VERNON, Conn. (AP) _ An East Hartford man accused of throwing a fatal punch during UConn’s Spring Weekend last year has pleaded no contest to manslaughter.

Edi Rapo will be sent to prison for up to five-and-a-half years. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 9. His full sentence would be 10 years, suspended after five and a half, followed by five years of probation under the agreement.

He entered his plea Friday at Rockville Superior Court.

Rapo’s lawyer, William Gerace, may argue for a shorter prison term.

With a no-contest plea, the defendant does not admit or deny guilt. Gerace says Rapo pleaded no contest because a lawsuit is pending.

Donald Altschuler, a lawyer who represents the family of the victim, Jafar Karzoun, said Rapo avoids accepting responsibility with his no-contest plea.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

More From CBS Connecticut

Win Red Sox Tickets All Season
Price Chopper Supermarkets Presents Retail Food Rescue Program

Listen Live