Seven public rest stops on Connecticut highways that had been scheduled for closing in the next two fiscal years will remain open, after all.
Co-chair of the Transportation Committee, Representative Tony Guerrera says he worked with the governor’s office to scrap the plan.
In his words, “We preach safety on the roads. We say, “If you’re tired, pull over, rest, take a break.’ Closing the rest areas sends the opposite message.”
The first of the rest stops, east and westbound on Interstate 84 in Willington, were scheduled to close July 1.
Guerrera says until the General Assembly can come up with the money for a new septic system at the Willington stop, portable toilets will be placed there.
Mike Riley of the Motor Transport Association of Connecticut told WTIC’s “State and Church” program Tuesday that there had been a strong public outcry about the closings after hosts John Rowland and Will Marotti criticized the move on the air. He said every legislator he spoke with mentioned receiving phone calls from the public urging that the stops remain open.