Carbon Monoxide Leak Cancels Classes

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ More than 800 Connecticut students got an unexpected day off when carbon monoxide was detected in their school.

No injuries were reported in the incident Monday at Plainville High School. Principal Steve LePage said classes will resume Tuesday as usual.

The colorless, odorless gas was detected in the boiler room shortly after 7 a.m., just as students started to arrive for classes after their spring break.

Similar incidents have prompted a General Assembly bill that would require at least one carbon monoxide detector in every public and private school building. The bill awaits a committee vote.

Twenty Waterbury students became ill when the colorless, odorless gas permeated their classrooms Jan. 4.

Two days later, 11 students in Vermont were hospitalized after a malfunctioning furnace pumped carbon monoxide into their classroom.

     (Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

Play for the Knockout Pool to Win $5,000
Play for the Pro Football Challenge to Win $5,000

Listen Live