JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) _ Yale University has stepped up its safety training after a student was killed last week inside a school chemistry lab when her hair was pulled into a piece of machine-shop equipment.
Yale says the training this week is for supervisors and monitors of facilities with power equipment. The training includes emergency responses, and ensuring that safety rules and precautions are followed. It also emphasizes making sure that anything needed for safe use of equipment, such as protective clothing, is present.
Michele Dufault, a senior from Scuituate, Mass., was killed Tuesday night after her hair was pulled into a fast-spinning lathe. The physics and astronomy major was about to graduate.
Two machine shop supervisors at other colleges say students should not be allowed to work unsupervised on such equipment.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)