EADS Won’t Appeal Tanker Decision

By DONNA CASSATA, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) _ The European plane-building company that lost out on a $35 billion refueling tanker deal isn’t appealing the Air Force’s decision to go with Chicago-based Boeing.

The European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. said Friday it won’t ask the Pentagon to review the decision to have Boeing build nearly 200 giant airborne refueling tankers.

“It’s time to put the interest of the warfighter first and we’re stepping aside,” said Ralph Crosby Jr., chairman of EADS North America.

The Air Force last week picked Boeing to build a replacement for the Eisenhower-era tanker fleet. The contract would mean tens of thousands of U.S. jobs, with Washington state and Kansas getting the bulk of the work. The contract, which could be worth as much as $100 billion, is a major win for Boeing.

EADS planned to assemble the aircraft at a closed military base in Mobile, Ala.

The tankers allow jet fighters, supply planes and other aircraft to cover long distances. That’s critical today with fewer overseas bases and with operations under way far from the U.S.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

At The Box Office
Ski Card

Listen Live