First Trial Scheduled In Reardon Abuse Case
CBS Connecticut (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSConnecticut.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSConnecticut.com/Health
Get Breaking News First
Settlements have not been reached in the lawsuits from people accusing Saint Francis Doctor George Reardon of abusing his child patients at the hospital.
So a Waterbury Superior Court judge has now scheduled the first trial for April 5, with jury selection March 8.
Patients’ attorney Tim O’Keefe says four abuse victims may be involved in the trial.
“The four cases were selected to be representative cases,” O’Keefe said. “The cases represented various time periods throughout the 30 years that doctor Reardon was at Saint Francis Hospital.”
Two of the plaintiffs selected by the defense, and two by the plaintiffs are in place.
The hospital has objected to having all four cases tried together.
“Saint Francis Hospital and its insurance carrier, Travelers Insurance Company, have made it clear that they have no interest in an out of court resolution,” O’Keefe said.
Saint Francis has said that it is deeply saddened.
The hospital said it has paid for counseling for Reardon’s former patients.
Images of child sexual abuse were found in Reardon’s West Hartford house, after he died.
Many of the pictures were taken in Reardon’s office, at the hospital.
So far, a judge has not ruled on a recent hospital request that the victims’ real names be used in court and on court documents.