Propane Leak Evacuates Businesses In Canton
A number of businesses along Route 44 in Canton were evacuated Friday night following a propane leak.
Fire officials say the leak, in a valve connected to a 1,000 gallon propane tank behind the Taco Bell restaurant, was reported shortly after 9:30. Authorities say the valve was damaged by snow removal equipment.
While no homes were evacuated, a handful of residents sought refuge in a shelter because road closures prevented them from getting to their homes, said officials.
The remaining propane in the tank, roughly 500 gallons, was pumped into a recovery vehicle. Emergency crews cleared the scene shortly after 5:00 a.m. Saturday.