Brief Evacuation at Health Center Building Blamed on Battery Odor
FARMINGTON, Conn. (AP) _ University of Connecticut Health Center officials say a chemical smell that prompted a partial evacuation of a campus building came from a computer battery. No one was harmed.
Health Center spokeswoman Carolyn Pennington says Friday morning’s evacuation involved about two dozen workers and patients who were on the second floor of the health center’s four-story Farmington Surgery Center. She says people on other floors also left the building.
Pennington says a sulfur-like smell was noticed at about 9:30 a.m. People were allowed back in at about 11:30 a.m.
She says a battery in a health center computer apparently went bad and caused the smell. Officials are examining the computer and the battery.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)